Not the usual direction

Usually the process of making instruments is a process of turning big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood, with a fair amount of cutting going on.  Well, for once I am turning little pieces of wood into bigger pieces.  I developed a way to use all those little scraps that I could not bear to throw out to create what I have been calling ‘Picasso’ headplates.  One starts with little pieces, and using CA glue and some colored veneer (black in this case) one build up bigger pieces.  I have worked it out so that I am always gluing a straight edge to a straight edge (easy to produce).  There is no ‘fitting’ of pieces, just slapping two straight edges together.  I think the result is pretty neat, and looks even better when it is cleaned up.  (The blue tape is so I remember which side is ‘up’)  I have made one so far on a finished instrument, (a U-Base I made for my sister)  shown below.

By the way, for anyone working with CA glue, I got some teflon baking sheets (cheap from Amazon) and the CA glue does not stick to them at all.  I can press things down, smush glue around, and the pieces come right off.  Even bits of dries CA glue scrape right off with the edge of an old credit card.

 

Comments are closed